I should enter more photography competitions.
I think 20% of the reason I don’t is the expense (most good comps aren’t free to enter) but the other 80% is a distinct lack of self confidence. My approach to competitions is a bit like this:
Me: I should enter that competition
Other me: You don’t have anything good enough to enter with
Me: These photos are good
Other me: The kid next door could take a better photo than this
And so it goes…until I finally narrow down a short list a few days before the comp closes. This year I entered the International Color Awards with 2 pictures, because that’s all I could decide on.
I found out yesterday that one of those pictures won a nomination place, which essentially means that of the 5,678 entries from 78 countries received, it was placed in the top 10% of entries.
So naturally, I ummed and ahhhed about telling anyone that.
Leave a Reply.